Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.


The venerable PBS children's program Reading Rainbow is calling it a career after a quarter of a century on the air. The show's host and executive producer LeVar Burton explains in numerous news accounts that the focus of children's shows is shifting. Now the focus is on teaching kids how to read. Reading Rainbow instilled in me and I am sure many others a love for reading that has taken us around the universe without ever leaving the living room. NPR wrote a wonderful article on the show's historic run. Obviously, no one will argue the importance of teaching children how to read, however I do not see the logic in cancelling the show. Hopefully, PBS won't have a problem teaching kids to read but now they won't know why they should. Being a member of the original generation of kids who enjoyed Reading Rainbow growing up I am sad to see the end of the rainbow, but at least the end of my rainbow had a pot of gold. Unfortunately, this generation didn't have the same kind of luck. Of course, you don't have to take my word for it.

1 Comment:

  1. raine413 said...
    Sad to hear we are over the rainbow. My kids loved this show. It instilled their appreciation for books and visits to the library. Having a story read to you or reading by yourself jumpstarts the imagination and helps your mind create the scene. Reading Rainbow brought books to life and I truly hope there is more at the end of the Rainbow.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home